Monday, September 13, 2010

Shawnisms

I've been calling Shawn my joy boy. If you take a single glance at this photo, you will know why. His smile lights up my whole being. The thing about Shawn is that even though he is almost two, he still isn't talking. He can say a few words, like mama, but other than that, it's his own made up language and pointing and such. Cars/trucks/anything with wheels are all "brrrrrrr", said with floppy lips. "Heesee" is horse (and cow, and goat). Cat is said with a hard K sound and sometimes followed by a hard A.
He is really good at saying "pee" and now going pee. About a week ago, he decided he was done with diapers. He has done great at getting to the toilet. The drawback is that he can't fit in any underwear in the store. I'm having to keep up on laundry, always washing the few pair that I made to fit him. I need to do some more. The kid has no butt, and even a 2T is a long way from staying on his hips. I'm proud of him, though, for giving mama a break on the diaper front.
      This morning he got up and came to cuddle with me as usual. It is typical that he is the first up and climbs onto me, sits on me, bounces on me, pokes my eyes "eyessssss", and lays next to me to steal my blanket for a while. I raised my bed up about 8 inches and he still climbs in it like a pro. He is a very good climber! I treasure the time I get to spend snuggling with my children each morning.
     He has a new thing that he is doing with his laugh. It makes me smile, as does a lot of stuff he does. He'll do something he thinks is funny and then give this short little grunty laugh "heh heh heh". Only three hehs. He did it again yesterday at the playground after yelling into the echo tube over and over. Each time, that cute giggle.
     Shawn never cries unless he is angry or hurt. It's usually the first and it is a different kind of cry. Getting the things he is playing with taken away sparks his fury more than anything. This morning while the kids were watching cartoons, Katie wouldn't share the couch with him. He was mad, of course. This 6-foot long couch and a 4 year old is hogging the whole thing. He comes to me whining, pointing at Katie, pointing to the wall where we have time out, pointing at her, pointing to the wall. Pouting the whole time with that furrowed brow. I think he made his idea that she needed to go to timeout very clear.
       He is so sensitive about the way others are speaking. He can tell by our tone if we are mad and he hates it if we are. He gets a hesitant pout and looks like he is about to cry, and then if you laugh at him, it all comes out in wails. Poor kid. Just too cute for words. Yesterday I was having problems with my sewing machine. He was on my lap getting a snuggle while I was sewing, and here I am, cussing out my "stupid freaking machine! Why won't you work! I hate you!" Yeah, that didn't go over too well in his little toddler world. I really have to watch how I am behaving. I'm not setting a very good example sometimes.
       Last night he slept in his own bed, away from his sisters. We have a crazy small house and all the kids share a room. We have had bunk beds unstacked for a while, since he moved into their room, So I finally got the crib mattress out of the garage, made a quick sheet for it (which turned out about 4 inches too short), and put it on the floor. He was more than happy to sleep there. I love it when the house is clean and we are all happy. (Mom gets pretty darn crabby when the house isn't clean).
     I love this boy. I can't imagine life without him. He brightens my days. He is a handful, like any toddler, but he makes me so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment