I was all set to make the drive to Utah to visit my sister’s family for Thanksgiving. I had been planning to go with my mom and felt strongly I should leave Tuesday morning. She had to work and was trying to get me to go that evening, but I really felt like I needed to go on Tuesday morning. Sunday night, it started to snow. and snow. and snow. These pictures were of Monday morning.
All my local family was calling. “Are you SUUUURE you want to travel with three children in THIS?!” “Paula, you can’t do this. You need chains.” “Are you STILL planning on going?” “You need help form another adult.” yada yada yada. My constant response was “THE LORD TOLD ME I COULD.” To me, it was as simple as that. So what if there is snow? I promised my sister I would be in her home for Thanksgiving, by golly, and it was going to happen.
I almost let those voices get to me. I called off the trip Monday night. I called my sister and sent my regrets. By that time, there was even more snow.
Tuesday I awoke and it wasn’t snowing. The sky was clear. The burb had more than twice as much snow on it as you see here. I thought to myself, “Why am I not doing this again? The Lord said I could!” I checked my Facebook and there was a note from my brother-in-law saying how disappointed they were that we weren’t coming, and to please reconsider. Screw it. “Kids, get your stuff. Let’s go. We have a long drive ahead of us.”
Did I say the drive was long? Yeah, that is kind of an understatement. The normally 8 hour drive took 14 hours. There was snow everywhere on I-82 except between Ontario and Mountain Home. I-84 was even closed! I had to drive around through Pocatello. You know what, though? I was so blessed. The suburban ran beautifully, the pesky check engine light didn’t even come on. The traffic was clear (I think the newscasters scared everyone off). And the kids…oh, my sweet children. I have never had a better time travelling with them than I did that day. They only fought once and it was quickly resolved. There was not any whining, they were helpful. I just couldn’t even believe how kind they were being to one another. It didn’t hurt that we have a DVD player in the car and some yet unseen movies from the Disney Movie Club that I surprised them with. We pulled into the driveway just at the tail end of the sixth movie. I could hardly see and barely walk.
Thanksgiving was amazing. I missed John. My BIL smoked an awesome turkey. My sister made her fluffy rolls and we made a five pies together. The kids had a blast playing together, as usual. This is the only picture I have of the day that I can share. Why, hello to you, too, Mr. Shawn!
On Saturday night Shawn and I got to take a fun trip to the ER! I thought he swallowed a toy because he was breathing really funny. In reality he had a wicked huge tonsil and a bad sore throat. Poor guy. That night, after having a clear week, it started to snow. and snow. and snow. This is the part where I’m glad I homeschool and I had no where I *needed* to be, like work, and such. At this point I was glad the rest of the clan stayed home. My mom would have missed her surgery. I-84 was closed once again. So I stayed two more days!
My sister and I went out on the town, DI shopping, eating out, getting out for some fresh air after being in the house for 5 days with kids that all had fevers. It was working it’s way through the crowd. Tuesday, I checked the weather report and thought I could at least make it to Boise. I didn’t want to go down the 3 mile long 6% slope on ice at night, but rather during the day when it could be warmer.
I got a hotel in Boise and it started to snow. and snow. and snow. Maybe I should have just driven straight through? The next morning, it was worse. So bad they even cancelled school there. How does that happen in Idaho?! So, still not having anywhere to go, I stayed with my dear friend Sally. It was fun! The kids got up the courage to dig in the snow, sled, build snow forts, and shovel the driveway. Thanks, Sally for hosting us for a night! The chicken noodle soup was delish!
Slowly, we made our way home. Sarah started to get her turn with the fever on the way home, but hers was accompanied by body aches (more on this later). We got home and it was still light out. Our cat was still alive, that was good. We wanted to start a fire, but there was a lot of digging to do by then to make that happen.
The whole trip was a testament to me that I can do anything with the Lord’s help. I am so glad I trusted in his word. It wasn’t right for everyone else to go, but I had the promise that I would be fine. And I was! I was more than fine! I love traveling. Even with my kids alone, it’s such an adventure. I felt so free and independent (and kind of rebellious) to just take off and go.
This is how much of a facebook junkie I am, though. I told my BIL not to tell my sister I had changed my mind so I could surprise her, but because I had not posted on facebook all day, she was worried, and then figured out that I was on the road. Gee, so all I have to do to freak people out is skip facebook for a day? hmmm…..
I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!






No comments:
Post a Comment