Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of MCP

But first, some quotes:

Katie: “Why is the baby going to take so long to come? Does it have to pack?”

Katie: “My first day of school was so awesome I could CRY!”

The first day of Kindergarten! And check out those missing teefers. That old hag the Tooth Fairy keeps forgetting to come and reward her for pulling them out all on her own. One is already growing a permanent tooth in! Sarah’s took months. 100_4781

Sarah is in the second grade!100_4783

While my kids are “home schooled”, they also attend a partnership school sponsored by the neighboring school district. 1.5 days a week they go to school at a real building (okay, it’s 6 portables) and take classes like art, science, history, and PE. This trimester between the two of them, they are taking “Passport to the World” (a social studies class), a history class that includes lapbooking, K’nex and geometry, Birds of the Shrub Steppe (the steppe is the climate we live in. Later in the year they will switch to flowers and plants), PE, Karate, Crafting through the seasons, and “Be Creative! Have Fun!” which is music, art and movement all rolled into one.

I LOVE MCP. All those “fears” (MYTHS) that people have about homeschooling are totally eradicated by using the partnership program. I’m sure I could do it on my own and have similar results, but they make it so easy to do my job as a homeschooling parent. The staff and the other parents are all so supportive of each other, and are flexible. I love that they have a big library full of curriculum and other goodies that I can browse through and find the perfect helps for my home learning environment. I love most of all that all the kids are really good kids. The friendships are deeper. I have never seen or heard of any bullying in the 2.5 years we have been going. That’s a far cry from seeing it the first week we were at public school. Using this program to help in our home studies has been such a blessing to us. I’m so glad we have MCP as a resource to help our family learn. 

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa loved the Shrub Steppe class last year. Mrs. Cannard is one of her favorite teachers.

    Alyssa came home so excited that she's going on the same day as Sarah and Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends here likes that too. Actually I know several friends who use MCP, so I knew what you were talking about. I think it's great. =) Would you get that tooth fairy to get her act together? Maybe she could come after lunch sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete