Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Resolutions

Right around the first of the year I found FLYlady. She teaches that through routines we will finally be able to get the house clean and things taken care of around the house. Little by little, making things habit, we will see the improvement in our homes and with our families. She was right. My dishes are always done, the laundry doesn't pile up on me, the floors are mostly swept, the bathroom is sparkly, and the rooms are slowly becoming decluttered. I shower more (hey, I'm a SAHM, sometimes a shower just isn't in the cards) and feel better about myself if I don't get everything done that I had set out to do that day. I added another element the past few days to my morning routine and that is to get up earlier than my kids like she suggests. She says 20 minutes, but I have been doing an hour so that I can study the gospel.

What a blessing to start my day that way instead of ending it with study. I'm blessed to have many manuals to guide my study. Right  now I'm in the Gospel Principles book.  I have been praying for guidance in raising my children and in talking to my husband last night decided we are both very lazy and selfish parents. Today I found this gem that was RIGHT ON what I needed to hear. In Mosiah 4, King Benjamin is telling his people that if they believe in God and do his will they will gain a testimony, and if they have a testimony, they have great cause to rejoice; that their lives will be blessed. He promises that we will have a good mind and desire to serve. Mosiah 4:14: And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they...fight and quarrel one with another, (vs 15)...yea will teach them to love one another and serve one another. How many times do my children come to me begging me to stop what I'm doing and make them a quesadilla? Or have an accident and bring me a set of clothes and underwear and ask for help to put clothes on and I shoo them away? It's awful! Why can't I follow this council and put the Lord first? Is folding the laundry so important that it can't wait for me to serve those who need me most? I'm promised that if I do, I will have that desire to serve and my children will no longer be hungry or naked or fight. So, as I type this with new resolution to serve my God and my children and not myself, my sweet son is calling for me in his bed. He wants to cuddle and nurse. I'm gunna go serve him. What a great way to start my day.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great scripture! I've always taken the naked part as just providing for them physically and financially, but when you mention it along with helping your kids get dressed (so really taking the time to help them) it gives it a whole new light.

    I've tried FLYlady a few times and never stuck with it. I've kind of set up my own schedule now that we're homeschooling, but it's not as great as hers. I think I'll give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to read about finding the right verses just when you need them. Take good care of those cute kids.
    And keep up the showering....It's good to have one daily, even if you are a SAHM. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder! I am just now starting to establish a routine and feel like my house is some-what under control, and the only way I was able to do that was starting a housekeeping blog with my SILs and we get points for cleaning! It was like a miracle for me. It's amazing how having a routine and a few minutes of alone time can completely change your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula you are great!!!I know I used to go to bed with dishses in my sink every night and it has been a month and still no dishes in my sink. I love it and now my husband is accually starting to see why it is so nice to have a clean sink. It keeps the rest of the house some how clean!!! I have also been reading my scriptures and praying daily something that is so small and simple to do yet why I wasn't doing it on a reagular basis before I don't know but will never stop doing it now. It brings peace to me. I have also started to do preschool with the younger ones and it is fun!!!!!Love ya
    Sally

    ReplyDelete